Methyl Methacrylate MMA Industrial Flooring
Methyl methacrylate is an organic compound that is a colorless liquid. Methacrylic acid (MAA) is a monomer produced on a large scale for the production of polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA). The world commonly see’s MMA every single day but are mostly unaware of its presence. MMA is a thick sticky resin like substance that is one of the main components of paints use to mark lanes on roads.
Since MMA is single entity of Poly Methyl Methacrylate (PMMA) it would be good to understand what PMMA is used for. PMMA is a strong and lightweight substance that has half the density of glass and other similar products which makes it ideal lightweight substitution for glass. This means it also has good impact strength, higher than both glass and polystyrene.
Transparent glass substitute
- PMMA Acrylic glass is commonly used for constructing residential and commercial aquariums. Designers started building big aquariums when poly(methyl methacrylate) could be used. The spectacular size of both flat panels and tunnels in aquariums such as Monterey Bay, Tokyo Sea Life Park, Osaka, Nagoya, Georgia and Dubai Aquariums were made possible with the introduction of acrylic.
- PMMA is used in the lenses of exterior lights of automobiles.
- The spectator protection in ice hockey rinks is made from PMMA.
- Motorcycle helmet visors
- Police vehicles for riot control often have the regular glass replaced with acrylic to protect the occupants from thrown objects.
- In some Motor racing championships the glass windows in the cars are replaced with acrylic to prevent glass shattering on the driver and track during a crash. They also help to save some weight making the car lighter and faster.
- Acrylic is used for viewing ports and even complete hulls of submersibles, such as the Alicia submarine's viewing spheres and the Bathyscaphe Trieste's windows.
- Polycast acrylic sheet is the most widely used material in aircraft transparencies(windows). In applications where the aircraft is pressurized, stretched acrylic is used.
- Acrylic is an important material in the making of certain lighthouse lenses.
Now that you have seen what the poly form of MMA is used for you have no doubt about the rock like properties it has for industrial flooring.